Painting checks a lot of joy boxes for me:
- squishing the buttery texture of paint around
- visually recreating what is lovely to me
- contrast of value and color
- freedom and discipline (yes, they go together)
- expression –both private and public
- losing myself in a challenge
- creating physical proof that I did something
It’s a response to the above that causes me to paint a wide variety of subjects in a variety of styles. I’m working towards impressionism in most of my paintings.
I’ve been painting regularly only since 2013, so I have a long way to go to really find out how to say what I want to say with paint.
“Time is the beauty of the road being long.” — from Blues Traveler song “Just Wait”